Juris Doctorate, Harvard Law School, 2000, (cum laude)
Bachelor of Arts, Linfield College, 1997, (magna cum laude)
- Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Harvard Negotiation Law Review
Richard's peers have selected him for inclusion in Oregon Super Lawyers.
Admitted to Practice
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Mr. Lorenz represents clients with respect to a wide variety of energy-related matters, including but not limited to the following recent matters:
- Represented the Public Power Council in connection with the negotiation of the Residential Exchange Program Settlement Agreement and the BP-12 and REP-12 BPA rate proceedings.
- Represented a large forest products company in negotiating a long-term retail power services agreement.
- Represented an Oregon electric cooperative in connection with creating and implementing a policy to process wholesale interconnection requests.
- Represented a municipal utility in connection with the sale of a hydroelectric project.
- Represented multiple consumer owned utilities in negotiating multiple retail power service agreements with large industrial customers including new data control loads.
- Negotiated pole attachment agreements for multiple different electric utilities.
- Represented multiple different energy producers in connection with PURPA sales and PURPA regulatory proceedings.
- Sought judicial review of certain BPA final decisions including briefing and oral argument before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented a people's utility district in connection with AAA arbitration of a disputed provision of a power purchase agreement.
- Represented large national public utilities in connection with generation assets located in the Northwest.
- Represented local community bank in connection with financing multiple commercial scale renewable energy projects.
- Represented multiple clients in connection with negotiating wholesale power purchase agreements using the Edison Electric Institute (EEI) standard agreement.
- Advised municipal utility in connection with various risk hedging transactions including a master netting agreement and financial transactions under the International Swap Dealer Association (ISDA) Standard Agreement.
- Represented a social media company in connection with power supply issues for its data center located in Oregon.
Member, Oregon State Bar, Energy, Telecom & Utility Law, Environmental & Natural Resources, and Government Law Sections
Member, Oregon City Attorneys Association
Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
News and Articles