University of California, Davis, B.A., 2001
Rutgers University School of Law, Newark, J.D., 2004
- High Honors
- Order of the Coif
- Senior Managing Editor, Rutgers Law Review
- H. Theodore Sorg Property Prize
Admitted to Practice
Oregon State Bar
Washington State Bar
California State Bar
New York State Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Oregon
Jon’s practice focuses on representing plaintiffs and defendants in complex business and commercial disputes that arise in various contexts, including:
Jon also has unique expertise in managing comprehensive internal investigations for businesses and public entities. Jon’s internal investigation practice frequently involves time-sensitive and high-stakes investigations of potential wrongdoing, which require efficient collection and analysis of large quantities of hard-copy and electronic evidence, and witness testimony, in a short period of time. Jon also has extensive experience planning for and conducting sensitive witness interviews; documenting and reporting interview and investigation findings to boards of directors, audit committees, public entities, and criminal/civil regulators; analyzing complicated attorney-client privilege issues; and coordinating public relations issues.
In addition to his client work, Jon has been appointed by the Oregon Supreme Court to serve as a pro tem judge for Multnomah County Circuit Court, and he also serves as a court-appointed arbitrator for the Multnomah County Mandatory Arbitration Program. Jon is also a longstanding member of the Oregon State Bar Legal Ethics Committee, the body charged with developing formal legal ethics opinions for approval by the Oregon State Bar Board of Governors.
Prior to joining Cable Huston in 2010, Jon worked at O’Melveny & Myers LLP in New York and Los Angeles, a firm consistently recognized by The American Lawyer as having one of the most prestigious litigation departments in the country. At O'Melveny, Jon focused his practice on complex civil litigation and appeals, criminal and regulatory investigations, and internal corporate investigations. He also served as a Supervising Attorney for the UCLA Law School Appellate Advocacy Clinic and as a law clerk in the Criminal Division at the United States Attorney's Office in Sacramento, California.
· Successfully represented RSG Forest Products, Inc., one of the Pacific Northwest’s largest lumber manufactures, against shareholder oppression lawsuit brought in Oregon and Washington state court seeking over $50 million in damages.
· Represented Special Committee of Sun Times Media Group (then Hollinger International Inc.) in highly-publicized internal investigation and subsequent federal civil prosecution of hundreds of millions of dollars in fraud claims brought against former CEO Conrad Black and other senior executives.
· Successfully defended California's largest public agency retirement fund trust administrator in California Attorney General investigation and subsequent qui tam litigation related to handling of over $150 million in unclaimed retirement funds.
· Obtained favorable verdict as member of trial team representing individual in six-week jury trial arising from local artist's breach of multi-million dollar oral loan agreement.
· Represented California-based milk company and two executives in breach of contract and injunctive relief lawsuit brought by out-of-state milk cooperative.
· Represented Precision Castparts in a multi-million civil litigation with Portland General Electric related to power outages at Precision’s manufacturing facilities.
· Secured multi-million-dollar award for Fortune 500 company after month-long JAMS arbitration on complex legal malpractice claim related to subcontractor negligent handling of a breach of contract claim in an earlier adversary proceeding in bankruptcy court.
· Obtained judgment for Emerald People's Utility District against Symbiotics, LLC in federal civil case involving breach of purchase and sale agreement and instituted post-judgment proceedings culminating in collection of entire prayer amount plus all costs and attorneys' fees.
· Secured judgment and permanent injunction for Eugene Water & Electric Board (EWEB) in complex
· Worked with numerous clients in overseeing various state and federal appeals, including before the Oregon Court of Appeals, New York Supreme Court’s Appellate Division, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
· Argued and obtained affirmance of judgment in easement dispute, Eugene Water & Electric Board v. Miller, 290 Or App 721 (2018).
· Argued and obtained affirmative of judgment in longstanding retaliatory tax dispute between Stewart Title Guaranty Co. and the State of Oregon's Department of Consumer and Business Affairs, Stewart Title Guaranty Co. v. State of Oregon, 272 Or App 138 (2015).
· Obtained affirmance of judgment for AmeriTitle, Inc. in title insurance dispute, Haveman et al. v. AmeriTitle Inc., et al, Oregon Court of Appeals Case No. A15398.
· Won reversal on appeal as lead counsel for indigent prisoner in Thomas v. Ponder, 611 F.3d 1144 (9th Cir. 2010), a case involving Eighth Amendment claims arising from prison's failure to provide adequate outdoor exercise.
· Obtained substantial monetary settlement for client after appeal of disability discrimination lawsuit dismissed by federal district court; briefed and argued case before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and secured substantial settlement shortly after oral argument.
Sports and Media-Related Litigation:
· Represented the Portland Trail Blazers and Rip City Management in various confidential litigation matters, including complex arbitrations and grievance proceedings before the Commissioner of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
· Successfully defended officers of CenterStaging Corp., a well-known rehearsal studio in Burbank, California against securities fraud claims in federal court.
Internal Investigations & Compliance:
· Managed large internal investigation for Special Committee of Cale Group AB, a Swedish company, arising from bribery allegations related to the City of Portland’s parking meter contract with a former Cale distributor. Conducted numerous witness interviews and oversaw collection of electronic and documentary evidence from the United States, Canada, and Sweden. Coordinated closely with the Portland City Attorney’s Office to disclose findings of investigation and discuss remedial action.
· Managed internal investigation for defense contractor arising from Navy Criminal Investigative Services (NCIS) subpoena related to alleged misreporting of OSHA violations in bid documents.
· Managed internal investigation for Air Force defense contractor related to allegations of False Claims violations arising from excessive time entries by employees on a large time and materials contract.
· Participated in numerous internal investigations of public companies related stock options back-dating and other allegations of financial fraud.
· Managed internal investigation for Fortune 500 company concerning whistleblower allegations of environmental violations that arose during internal compliance audit.
· Managed internal investigation for large healthcare company concerning retaliation claims against former compliance officer.
· Participated in internal investigation for one of the world's largest investment banking firms regarding
· Represented multiple investment advisory businesses in highly-publicized New York Attorney
Insurance and Surety:
· Obtained complete dismissal of claims and recovery of all attorneys’ fees for Developers Surety and Indemnity Co. (a division of AmTrust Financial) in complicated declaratory relief lawsuit filed by a Eugene, Oregon developer seeking recovery of millions of dollars in damages on subdivision development bond.
· Represented AmeriTitle, Inc. in various title insurance and escrow disputes.
· Represented Banks Sunset Park Association in indemnity and insurance coverage action arising from lead contamination lawsuit filed by neighboring property owner.
· Routinely represent indigent clients in appellate proceedings before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals as part of the Ninth Circuit’s Appellate Pro Bono Program, and at the trial court level as part of the District of Oregon’s pro bono program.
· Won affirmance of several violent robbery convictions on appeal as pro bono Special Assistant District Attorney in Brooklyn, New York.
· Served as a member of appellate team representing the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund in preparing an amicus curiae brief for the United States Supreme Court in Crawford v. Marion County Election Board.
· Won one of the most substantial sentence reductions obtained for a criminal defendant under New York's Drug Law Reform Act, while acting as pro bono counsel to the Legal Aid Society.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
Speaker, Summary Judgment Motions, Multnomah County Bar Association Young Litigators Forum (2016, 2017, 2018)
When the Law Provides Repayment Terms: The Perils of Oral Loan Agreements, Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Newsletter (Winter 2012)
The Young Lawyer’s Corner: Internal Investigation Tips for Junior Attorneys, Criminal Litigation (American Bar Association Fall 2009)
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Handbook, O'Melveny & Myers LLP (6th ed. 2009) (co-authored chapter on Internal Investigations)
Speaker, Compliance Programs, O'Melveny & Myers LLP White Collar Defense and Corporate Investigations Training Series, Los Angeles, CA (May 2008)
10 Ways to Retain Confidentiality During (and After) an Internal Investigation: A Strategy for Minimizing the Damage of Disclosure, Criminal Litigation (American Bar Association Spring 2007)
Speaker, Putting Lawyers on the Defensive: When Law Firms Get Indicted, ABA Section of Litigation Annual Conference, San Antonio, TX (April 2007)
Note, Tribal Immunity from Process: Limiting the Government’s Power to Enforce Search Warrants and Subpoenas on American Indian Land, 56 Rutgers L. Rev. 271 (2003)
Awards & Recognition
"Rising Star" (Oregon Super Lawyers, 2013-2018)
"Faces of the List" (Portland Business Journal, Jan. 2015)
"Top 40 Litigation Lawyer Under 40" (American Society of Legal Advocates, 2013-2018)
"Outstanding Subcommittee Chair" (American Bar Association, 2008-2009)
"Rising Star" (JAMS Arbitration Service, 2009)
"Empire State Counsel Award" (New York State Bar, 2008)
"Outstanding Newsletter Editor" (American Bar Association, 2006-2007)
Multnomah County Circuit Court Judge Pro Tempore (2018-present)
In-House General Counsel/Legal Ethics Advisor, Cable Huston LLP, (2014-present)
Appointed Member, Oregon State Bar Legal Ethics Committee (2015-present)
Arbitrator, Multnomah County Mandatory Arbitration Program (2011-present)
Participant, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Pro Bono Appellate Program (2009-present)
Member, American Bar Association (2004-present)
News and Articles