Willamette University College of Law, Juris Doctor degree, cum laude (1978)
Oregon State University, Bachelor of Science degree, with honors (1973)
Jan is rated as an AV attorney by Martindale Hubbell.
Jan's peers have selected him for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America and Oregon Super Lawyers.
Admitted to Practice
Oregon State Courts
Washington State Courts
United States District Court, District of Oregon
United States District Court, Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
United States Supreme Court
Areas of Emphasis
Personal Injury Litigation
Wrongful Death Litigation
I have over 35 years of trial experience in a wide range of areas. My practice currently is focused on catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, will and trust contests and insurance coverage claims in the Pacific Northwest. I represent both plaintiffs and defendants, and individuals as well as businesses, and have won or resolved successfully many multimillion dollar cases.
My trial experience includes state and federal cases in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and D.C., including jury trials in 23 Oregon counties, five Washington counties, and several Federal District Courts. I have briefed and argued cases in the appellate courts for Oregon and Washington, as well as in the Ninth Circuit. I have also arbitrated cases in a number of forums, both as a litigant and an arbitrator.
- Selected by peers as a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers (membership is limited to the top 1% of practicing trial attorneys)
- Selected by peers to the Personal Injury Litigation list of The Best Lawyers in America
- Selected by peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Portland in personal injury by Portland Monthly Magazine
- Identified by Oregon Super Lawyers for business and personal injury litigation every year since 2006
- Selected by the American Trial Lawyers Association as one of the top 100 trial lawyers in Portland
- Selected by peers as a Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates ("ABOTA")
Professional & Community Activities
- Member of the trial practice sections of the Oregon and Washington Bars
- Member of the Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- Member of the Washington State Trial Lawyers Association and the Multnomah County (Oregon) Bar Association
- Multiple CLE publications, speeches and presentations on trial practice, personal injury, wrongful death, will contests, and other probate litigation
- OSB Damages CLE - Prejudgment Interest
- OSB Damages CLE - Past Editor
- OSB Probate CLE - Probate Litigation
- OSB Pleading and Practice CLE - Real Property in Interest
News and Articles